Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Mirror, mirror, on the wall...

As I mentioned in the beginning of this blog, we have conducting a little project entitled Grandpa's house. Tony and I have been living/renting my Grandpa's house in Hoffman Estates, right by Schaumburg, IL, home of Woodfield Mall and lots of other chain stores and corporate headquarters. Let's just say we lack slightly in culture. But we like the house, and we live right by my parents, who are always ready with pizza nights and helping us shovel. :)

However, the house needs work. Unfortunately, my grandparents bought the house from decorating morons, who used contact paper for wallpaper, believed in shag carpeting, and covered an entire wall of the living room with mirrored squares. Yeah, I know. And since my grandparents never did anything different to the decor of the house, I have been spending the last year trying to bring the house back to life. (My parents also have been a great help, especially with the larger projects - wallpaper removal, a new roof, and new carpeting). As we progress along, I'll post updates on the blog.

But over the weekend, we made a big improvement: the mirrored wall is gone! Unfortunately, now we have a strange grid wall that's crying for spackle.


Pretty, isn't it? The good news is that now we have no choice but to start painting the living room. The bad news is we have guests coming over for New Year's Eve, and we HAVE to start painting the living room. For now, we live with the grid, but I'm hoping to start fixing it this weekend.

Oh, and by the way, with the snow that hit Chicagoland last night, it took me over 3 and 1/2 hours to get home. Not that I want to complain too much - my brother and sister-in-law in New Hampshire have been without power since last Thursday. :(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet it looked soo much better when you took the mirrors down though, but its a bummer to have to do all that work so quickly, especially during the holidays. I think its really neat that you get to live in and update your grandparents house. Everytime I visit my grandparents, I think about what I great house they have, but what I would do to update and "improve" it. I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product!

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

Is it crazy to say that I am envious of your house project? My husband and I are rebuilding the kitchen in our apartment in Berlin. Well, except we're in the US right for Christmas. We share the experience on a blog, too.
Lots of luck. The contact paper? Now that's weird!
Katie

Sarah Ring said...

Man I couldn't imagine a commute that lengthy! Poor thing! Glad to hear you made it home safely!